Friday 11 March 2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 Switch.

It was the cafeteria that started it.

I was stuck in the school library until very late this evening because I had a Lit. essay due tonight and I have no printer at home.  After finishing it in record time I dropped off the stupid thing and headed for my bus. Being my first successful day of fasting I wasn't just hungry, I was ravenous. And there it was, calling me, delicious smells wafting right through the thick glass doors; the cafeteria. I'm not one for fast food but Subway and/or Mr. Sub are my weakness. I. love. sandwiches. Ana was quick to notice my wavering discipline.


Don't you dare you fat little fuck.


But I had been good today, I had consumed nothing but water and coffee with no sugar all day. Surely I deserved a little treat! I'd use my new elliptical, I'd spend ours crunching away the calories just for one delicious sandwich. I gave in and Ana growled.

Mouth watering, I almost ran to the ATM. Perhaps Ana is better than I thought or perhaps this was all coincidence but by some cosmic realignment the ATM was out of order and the cafeteria does not take debit. Ana cheered, my stomach growled, and I took this celestial karmic interference as a sign that the sub was just not meant for me, hopped on the bus and settled in to read the novel due next Wednesday. It wasn't until I got off at the terminal to catch my second bus that the true trouble began.

Not one, not two, but an entire group of women sat in the shelter feasting on McDonald's french fries. The smell was intoxicating, I longed for those french fries.

You will not run across the street for some. You will not run across the street for some. You will not run across the street for some. 


I couldn't either, the bus was due in two minutes. Not enough time for a fry run. No I will stay here. I can not stress the deliciousness wafting around the closed shelter. It was enough to make me stand in the freezing rain and wait out my sentence. Finally the bus pulled up, but much to my dismay the group of women were actually a pack of Pilipino nannies from my neighbourhood and they followed me right on that bus.

That was about the time things took a turn for the worse. They all sat there talking, and laughing, and munching those savory, off-limit fries. I couldn't take it. I sat there and fantasized the many different ways I could wrench those incredible things from their hands. Request a stop, grab them and run. Stand by them and sneak individual fries. Punch one of them in the face. The possibilities were endless. I abandoned my book and forced my gaze out the window. Four more stops. Three. Two. Almost there. Finally the bus rolled to a stop. There were no cars so I dashed across the usually busy road- something I normally would never think to attempt. I ran down the sidewalk and up my street. I did not stop running until I was home; safe with my chickpea salad and honey mustard vinaigrette. I had survived, held out. Ana purred.

Good work girl. But you know... a few sit ups wouldn't hurt either...


I wholeheartedly agreed.

In sleep we fast easy Angels,
Charlie.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I love these posts. They're beautiful. So inspiring. Dammit, wish I had discovered them earlier. Sending you skinnies darling girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subway is the only "fast food" I eat because it's somewhat healthy so I don't consider it to really be "fast food" at all! Don't you hate it that you're never tempted to eat stuff like that until you fast? The moment you decide to stay away from food, bad food pops up everywhere! I love the way you write, it's like I'm reading a story (are you an English major?). You did a great job resisting all the food though! Not onoly does it prove how strng you are, but now you don't have to face the guilt feelings you would've had to face if you gave in. Keep up the awesome work!
    XO

    ReplyDelete